Rewarding Careers in Public Utilities
Public utilities provide essential services to our communities, such as water, electricity, and natural gas. The people who work in these industries play a vital role in our everyday lives.
Public utilities jobs pay well, and there are many opportunities for advancement. In fact, the median annual wage for public utilities workers was $73,854 in May 2020. This is higher than the median annual wage for all occupations, which was $41,950 in May 2020.
There are many different types of public utilities jobs, so there is sure to be one that is a good fit for your skills and interests. Some of the most common public utilities jobs include:
- Line workers: Line workers install, maintain, and repair power lines and other electrical infrastructure.
- Water and wastewater treatment plant operators: Water and wastewater treatment plant operators operate and maintain water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Gas utility workers: Gas utility workers install, maintain, and repair natural gas pipelines and other natural gas infrastructure.
- Customer service representatives: Customer service representatives provide support to customers of public utilities.
- Accountants and auditors: Accountants and auditors keep track of financial records and ensure that they are accurate.
Public utilities jobs are in high demand, and the number of jobs is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations over the next decade. This is due to the increasing demand for public utilities services, as well as the need to maintain and upgrade infrastructure.
If you are looking for a stable and rewarding career, a job in public utilities may be a good option for you. Public utilities offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and opportunities for advancement.